Multi-Cloud SD-WAN: Next Generation Network for Digital Enterprises
SD-WAN Multi-cloud solutions allow enterprises to host applications in a single architecture with multiple Cloud Service Providers (CSPs).
SD-WAN architecture ensures better latency, agility, and security than public internet connections. It features exceptional traffic control and application recognition features to enhance the performance and availability of multiple CSPs.
Digital enterprises are widely employing multi-cloud strategies for a more secure, reliable, and consistent network infrastructure. And with this rapidly evolving multi-cloud world, SD-WAN providers must also offer secure and highly reliable connectivity to these cloud services.
Let’s understand how Multi-cloud SD-WAN is exactly a Next Generation Network for Digital Enterprises:
Role of New SD-WAN Architecture:
Multi-cloud strategy is nothing but the use of one or more IaaS platforms such as Google Cloud, Azure, AWS, Oracle, and so on. For strong IT integrity, myriads of enterprises today utilize a wide-ranging data center, on-premises, and cloud-based resources.
Thus, these enterprises deploy and manage multiple cloud environments such as public, private, and SaaS platforms, so developers can run applications with flexibility on a well-integrated platform with best-in-class user experience.
SD-WAN vendors aim to provide an innovative platform where IaaS cloud environments can experience high-quality, secure, and reliable SD-WAN connectivity.
SD-WAN architecture requires IaaS cloud providers to utilize new traffic acceleration technologies to and from the cloud platforms, anywhere in the world. In addition to this, enterprises can also take advantage of new SD-WAN integration opportunities.
A reliable SD-WAN connectivity will allow high-speed on-ramps from the edge to any cloud environment, regardless of its location.
How SD-WAN supports applications in multi-cloud environments
Let us see the important components of new SD-WAN infrastructure and how exactly it supports apps in multi-cloud environments:
Primarily, enterprises use SD-WAN connectivity to improve security, increase bandwidth, and power their network edge with application prioritization. This can be either done through a managed service or channel partners. SD-WAN vendors aim to employ better traffic identification and routing for centralized management and enhanced network security.
To support multi-cloud environments, SD-WAN infrastructure requires the following features:
- Application delivery: Unlike traditional hybrid WAN connectivity, SD-WAN must be scalable to run applications whenever and wherever users need it. It should provide seamless connectivity from users to IaaS, SaaS and private cloud platforms according to the business requirements. In addition to this, SD-WAN ought to have efficient traffic steering and prioritization features.
- Quality of Experience: Business-critical cloud applications need to be run consistently on platforms. This is why SD-WAN architecture must provide excellent quality of experience and reliability to users such as security, appropriate compliance policies, low latency, and so on.
- Visibility and security: Nothing wards off potential risks of cloud and IoT better than improved security and visibility in the SD-WAN platform. SD-WAN needs to provide better visibility into traffic sources, traffic destinations, quarantine, and whitelist traffic flows. It also must provide enforcement options to IT team or admins at the edge or across the data center.
- Connectivity: Traditional WAN connectivity to multiple cloud environments is likely to face traffic slowdowns due to complex tools and routing tables. But with SD-WAN connectivity, users will be able to experience automated connectivity to IaaS cloud environments. Moreover, it also offers smart tools that identify traffic faster and prevent performance slowdowns of applications.
- Micro-segmentation: Users in multi-cloud environments look for platforms that offer micro-segmentation abilities to isolate specific applications, traffic flows, and network components. SD-WAN providers need to identify, route, and secure traffic towards respective resources seamlessly.
Why is SD-WAN important for Digital Enterprises?
We all know that the upcoming era is going to be dominated by cloud computing. According to the studies, around 86% of businesses are embracing multi-cloud environments to power digital transformation for their enterprise. IT professionals are becoming more confident in switching their business-critical workflows to the cloud using multi-cloud environments.
But cloud connectivity to one or multiple cloud environments requires a powerful connectivity partner to ensure high reliability, security, and scalability. That’s when SD-WAN architecture comes in!
With a feature-rich SD-WAN multi-cloud solution, enterprises can access all their cloud services via a single streamlined infrastructure. This in turn improves productivity, efficiency, and scalability of enterprises, as they get to focus more on other transformation aspects. Business operations supported by solid network connectivity and top-notch CSPs are sure to yield better ROIs.
Benefits of SD-WAN Multi-cloud environments
As you see at the image below, with SD-WAN multi-cloud and hybrid cloud environments, businesses have access to some important capabilities:
Security Features in new SD-WAN architecture:
Security is the most crucial factor in SD-WAN architecture. With enterprises switching to clouds, applications and workloads are shifted to the edge. Hence, every network element and APs are prone to attacks and security breaches.
Here are some of the key security features SD-WAN architecture has to offer:
SD-WAN Solution for Multi-cloud environments:
SD-WAN solution for multi-cloud is a dominant architecture that offers high-performance, secure, and reliable connectivity to multiple clouds at budget.
The solution powers enterprises to build efficient and seamless cloud-to-cloud architecture.